Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Year's Shaker Card & Purple Snowflakes

I don't know about other places, but I know that in Alaska we had fireworks on New Year's Eve. I guess it was mostly because we didn't have them on the 4th of July...it was just too bright out at night to see them well. In that vein I wanted to make a fun New Year's card, one with fireworks and was bright and cheery. Most of the ones I have been making lately are dark colored. I used sketch #74 from Tuesday Morning Sketches and made it a shaker card. I had been wanting to make one for a while, and today's challenge at 365 Cards worked with that perfectly. Today's Flashback Tuesday is Day 20: "Let's Make Some Noise," which is to put something on your card that makes noise. Well, the shaker card definitely does that. The challenge at Paper Playtime is to make anything New Year's related, so it worked really well with my desire to make a fun New Year's card.

The card is 5 1/2"x4 1/4." I cut the multi-colored patterned paper at 4"x4" and adhered it on the card. I cut a white sqare at 2" and stamped my fireworks image, which is from Studio G, in rocket red gold ink from Tsukineko. The inside of my frame is 2" sqare and the outside of the frame is 2 1/4" square, I used a glittery red paper for that. The inside of the shaker card has red, orange, green and blue micro-beads. The inside of the card says, "Happy New Year!"

This second card isn't for any challenges, I just got inspired and had to make it. On Christmas day, my husband and I were driving home from my dad's house and we heard a song on the radio about "pretty purple snowflakes." I don't remember much else about it, but the minute I heard that line I knew I had to make a card about it. If ever there was a song just begging to be the inspiration to a card it would be that one.

The card is 5 1/2"x4 1/4" and made of white cardstock. I cut a piece of dark purple cardstock 1/4" smaller and then embossed it with the Large Snowflakes embossing folder. I then added some purple Stickles here and there on it. I ran a piece of white ribbon around the purple cardstock and then attached it to my card base. I tied the bow from another piece of the white ribbon and attached it. The snowflakes are from Christmas and Accent Essentials. The white one is cut at 2 1/4," the larger purple one is cut at 2" and the smallest one is cut at 1 3/4." I then added some gems and pearls and attached them on the card with glue or pop-dots. I think it turned out really pretty. Enjoy!!

5 comments:

  1. Very clever shaker card. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great card! I love the image you chose, and the colors are wonderful. I have never made a shaker card. Thanks for playing with us over at Paper Playtime this week. Hope to see you again in the New Year :)

    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Shaker card Vibrant DPs on this make.. Kaz (GDT TMS)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like both of your cards...love the info about the purple snowflakes song! You did a great job on both cards. Thank you for playing with us at Paper Playtime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shaker card is so cool, and I'm glad that the 365 Cards challenge gave you an excuse to make one!

    ReplyDelete