Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Penguin Gift Box

Part of the Christmas present for my father and his wife is a gift card to one of their favorite restaurants.  Today I made a box in which to put that gift card.



The box is from a set called Winter Paver Favor Boxes & Cards by My Scrap Chick.  I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut it out.  Once it is all assembled it stands about 5 1/4" tall, by 3 3/4" wide, and 1 3/4" thick.  I did alter its size a little, so that at its widest point the box perfectly fits a gift card.



Before putting the white part of the penguin on the top of the box I wrapped it with some red and white twine.  I also made sure the run the twine through the hole of my tag.  The tag is from the "Mickey and Friends" Cricut cartridge.  It can be found on page 116 of the handbook, the icon feature.  I cut it at 1 1/4."  I cut the white layer twice, once for the front and once for the back.  I used stamps from My Craft Spot for the sentiments.  Both of them are from the Tiny Tags Christmas set.



I embellished the penguin with some little buttons that I made using the "Cricut Essentials" cartridge.  They can be found on page 42 of the handbook, using the shift function.  I cut each one three times, at 1/2," to make them nice and thick.  I inked around the edge of everything (buttons, beak, feet, bow tie) with tea dye Distress Ink by Tim Holtz.


I decided not to use the eyes that come with the box.  Instead I stamped some eyes using Peachy Keen stamps.  The eyes are from the Erkle & Merkle Face Assortment.

I made this for the following challenges:
Cardz TV: 3D Challenge - create a gift card holder
My Craft Spot: 3D Christmas
Fantabulous Cricut: use three embellishments (buttons)
Tuesday Throwdown: Christmas tags

7 comments:

  1. This is so cute and they will be more pleased with the packaging because you made it then the gift itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cute. What a fabulous and creative idea. It would be perfect for our Holiday Gift Packaging challenge over at Really Reasonable Ribbon. Here is a link:
    http://reasonableribbon.blogspot.com/2014/11/rrr-challenge-107-gift-packaging-and.html

    And our Anything Goes challenge at Word Art Wednesday here:
    www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

    It's always fun to play along and share your talents so that everyone has a chance to see your fabulous creations! I hope you will play along.
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is so flippin adorable...I LOVE him! Gorgeous! What a great addition for Christmas! Thanks so much for sharing your super cute creation at Tuesday Throwdown, and please come back again very soon!

    Ruth
    Tuesday Throwdown DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, my youngest guy LOVES penguins. I've got to make this for him!! Yours looks fabulous and I'm sure your dad and his wife will be delighted with it. Such a fun way to give a gift card!! Thanks for inspiring me along the way!

    Thanks so much for playing along with us at My Craft Spot!

    Kate
    Small Bits of Paper

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is So adorable! I just want to hug him. :o) What a darling gift, sure to be cherished. The penguin is simply precious and I love the sweet tag. :o) Thank you for sharing your creativity with us at My Craft Spot!

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your penguin is adorbs Palua, great job!

    Thanks for playing along with us at Cardz TV

    Elaine
    CTVDT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula, your penguin is adorable! I love his fun bow tie and buttons - so cute! Thanks for joining the fun at My Craft Spot!

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete