Thursday, February 26, 2015

My Quilt is Done!

All right, so I have been working on this quilt for many, many months now.  I finally finished piecing it all together around the New Year.  Then I had to make the back and get the batting.  I sent it off to the quilter a couple of weeks ago and got it back last weekend.  Then all I had to do was bind it, which I managed to finish today!



The quilt is about 90"x95" and was made specifically for our bed so that it would drape and cover the entire mattress.  The pattern I used was actually for a wall hanging.  I had to modify it slightly to make it into such a large quilt.  




  I went with a black and white theme, and added the pop of yellow, which I love.  I got most of the fabrics at work, JoAnn Fabrics.  The only one I got elsewhere is the fabric that is also used on the pillows.  It is in the pattern of the wallpaper in the BBC TV show "Sherlock."  I absolutely love the show and I just love the pattern and sprang for a couple of yards of fabric with that pattern printed on it.  I used it in the quilt and had enough left over to make a couple of pillows in the "Sherlock" theme.



Here are a couple of shots to better see the borders and binding.  The quilter did a lovely job as well.




The Union Jack pillow was one I purchased.  I made the other two though.  I bought two 16" pillow forms and then made custom pillowcases for them.  I used that "Sherlock" themed fabric on the front and just used plain black on the back.  I sewed the cases so that they are an envelope style, meaning they have a flap in the back so that I can remove the pillow for washing if necessary.  That way I didn't have to mess with a zipper.




I left one of the pillows plain, but if you have see the show you know that Sherlock and John have a smiley face spray painted on to their wall.  I just had to recreate that look on one of the pillows.  I made the smiley face myself by manipulating some images in Cricut Design Space.  The outer circle is called "ring" and is on the "Paper Pups" cartridge.  I sized it to 5.85."  The eyes and smile of the face were made using a cut from the "Toy Story" cartridge.  It is a face of Lotso Bear, using the icon feature, found on page 66.  I kept just the dots of the eyes and his smile, hiding all other contours.  I sized the face to fit in the circle, then cut it out of freezer paper.  I was then able to iron the freezer paper on to the fabric and use it as a stencil to paint my image on to the pillowcase.  I used some yellow screen print fabric paint.

I am currently working on the bed skirt to finish off our bed.  I also have plans to make some curtains.  Someday soon I will actually have a grown-up bedroom of which I will be proud.  Getting this quilt finished was the first major step in that direction.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Your quilt is amazing, Paula, and I love how you personalized it with your favorite fabrics. Fabulous! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful quilt . love the colors and the patterns. I bet it took a long time to make.

    maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. nike free 3.0 online Okay, that tomorrow I'll pick you up. sale promised down, Wang sister farewell nike free 3.0 australia with cheap  nike free 3.0 online I want to go to an nike free 3.0 online amusement park, for a long time do not, we go together. unlimited joy then trot into the cell. Rapist sale looked cheap little ass nike free 3.0 sale look of nike free 3.0 online silver finishes, look, this little ass twist too, really.

    ReplyDelete