Saturday, June 02, 2012

American Pride

I decided to make a layout using a picture that was taken of my husband and me at the airport when he got home from Kuwait. I actually got to meet him at the gate, which was so great! He was the first one off the plane, which surpised those of us waiting for him. I noticed him first, jumped up and ran to hug him. This picture was taken seconds after that. However, due to my continuing computer problems the picture was printed on the printer we have attached to our desktop and is not meant for photos. My photo printer is in my craft room and I use it with my laptop, which is still out of commission. So, the photo is not the greatest due to the printer, but when I get my computer figured out I will print out a better copy. The photo in there now at least gives you an idea of what I wanted to do with this layout. I adhered it with removable adhesive so that I can take it out when I get the better picture printed.
This layout was made following the current sketch at Stuck On U Sketches. As soon as I saw the sketch I started getting ideas about what I wanted to do with it! :) I am pleased with how it all turned out. It is a 12"x12" layout, that I am actually going to put in a shadowbox and hang on my wall. I used Elegant Edges to create the label in the background. The shimmery blue layer was cut using the shadow feature at 10." The white layer was also cut using the shadow feature, but at 9 1/2." The glittery red layer was cut regularly at 9 1/2." I then placed it where I wanted it on the left hand side of the page and trimmed it along the edge of the page. The smaller, trimmed-off piece was placed on the right hand side of the page. The photo is 4"x6" and I matted it with three layers that are all 1/4" larger than the previous layer. I used Ribbons and Rosettes to create my three rosettes. The two smaller ones were cut at 1 1/2" and the larger one was cut at 2." The title was cut using Stand and Salute, as were all three stars that are in the center of the rosettes. I added faded jeans Stickles to the title and all the blue pieces on my project (except the title) were inked with faded jeans Distress Ink. I used three layers of pop-dots to raise up my blue rosette and one layer of pop-dots for the smaller striped rosette. I cut a tag from Tags, Bags, Boxes and More, using my Gypsy to size it to fit the stamp, from some white cardstock and cut one that was 1/4" larger from blue cardstock. I then used some pearlescent poppy ink by Tsukineko to stamp my sentiment, which is from Scrappy Moms Stamps. My shimmery blue paper is from DCWV, the glittery red paper is from Core'dinations, the white paper is from The Paper Company and all the patterned papers are from Paper Pizzazz.
I made this for the following challenges:

12 comments:

  1. Simply amazing! Okay you are hired to do my Memorial Day layouts! Love this big time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely, shows your pride and rightly so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaw, paula this is such a wonderful layout and love your take on our sketch..
    thnx for playing along with us again..
    hugs
    Nanné

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula - this is such a lovely layout. Love the photo you have used. TFS this precious moment:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great take on the sketch.....LOVE the colors and your rosette flowers. Thanks for playing with us at SOUS

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great layout, it really stands out! Love the colors and paper choices! Thank you for joining us this week at FCCB!
    http://scrapqueen141.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is certainly a FAV of mine so far from you!
    You gotta just love this one as well!
    It is super perfect...I am so glad the sketch was well received!
    Glad as always to have you joining us, hun!

    ~Leah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful LO! Thanks so much for joining us at FCCB this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful layout. Love the red, white and blue mats and the rosettes. Such a patriotic layout. Thanks for joining us for the FCCB Memorial challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome layout..love it!Thanks for joining us at SOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!! I love the rosettes!!!! Your colors/design is perfect for your priceless photo!!!!!! Thanks for joining us over at SOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete